Single-Site™ da Vinci® Surgery for Gallbladder Disease (Cholecystectomy)
To control or eliminate severe gallbladder symptoms, your doctor may recommend surgery to remove your gallbladder. Fortunately, the gallbladder is an organ that you can live without.
If you’ve been told you need gallbladder surgery, ask your doctor about Single-Site da Vinci Surgery. It is minimally invasive – performed through a single small incision using state-of-the-art technology.
Patients who choose Single-Site da Vinci Surgery experience virtually scarless results. That’s because the surgeon operates through only one small incision in the navel (belly button). After a fast recovery, the scar is almost impossible to see.
Single-Site da Vinci Surgery offers patients the following potential benefits:
- Minimal scarring
- Minimal pain
- Low blood loss
- Fast recovery
- Short hospital stay
- High patient satisfaction
This procedure is performed using the da Vinci Surgical System. da Vinci is a state-of-the-art robotic surgical platform that translates your surgeon’s hand movements into smaller, more precise movements of instruments inside your body. da Vinci’s vision system provides your surgeon with 3D-HD visualization allowing for enhanced vision, precision, dexterity and control. During the entire procedure, your surgeon is 100% in control of the da Vinci System.
Compared to manual single-port (access) laparoscopy, da Vinci surgeons have improved precision, control, better ergonomics and greater access. These advantages allow your surgeon to perform the most precise and comprehensive single-incision surgery available today.
- X-Plain Cholecystectomy – Open and Laparoscopic Reference Summary, National Institutes of Health,http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tutorials/cholecystectomyopenandlaparoscopic/gs019103.pdf
- Kroh M, El-Hayek K, Rosenblatt S, Chand B, Escobar P, Kaouk J, Chalikonda S. First human surgery with a novel single-port robotic system: cholecystectomy using the da Vinci Single-Site platform. Surg Endosc. 2011 Nov;25(11):3566-73. Epub 2011 Jun 3.
- Haber GP, White MA, Autorino R, Escobar PF, Kroh MD, Chalikonda S, Khanna R, Forest S, Yang B, Altunrende F, Stein RJ, Kaouk JH. Novel robotic da Vinci instruments for laparoendoscopic single-site surgery. Urology. 2010 Dec;76(6):1279-82. Epub 2010 Oct 27.
- Wren SM, Curet MJ. Single-port robotic cholecystectomy: results from a first human use clinical study of the new da Vinci single-site surgical platform. Arch Surg. 2011 Oct;146(10):1122-7. Epub 2011 Jun 20.